Tour of Krankenhauses

 Long time between postings. Seems like the past couple of months has been lots of hospitalizations. My feeding tube saga continued while we’re last at the lake. I had been having to change the bandage daily as it kept weeping various fluids " one morning we woke to a horrible smell permitting our bedroom and the bandage soaked. Kay ( our absolutely wonderful aide) saying the wound area looked terrible and recommended we go to ER in Petoskey. So off we went. After a CT scan they found a large infected abscess around the wound. Not good and apparently dangerous. They started me on antibiotics and after consulting with the surgeons office in Ann Arbor, removed the feeding tube. They gave me the choice of having their surgery team explore or return down state. They emphasized the urgency by only giving me one day’s antibiotics. 

By this time Eric had flown in and took charge and drove us down state. We talked with the surgeon’s office and knew they wanted me on IV antibiotics. We decided on Trinity Hospital (renamed from St. Mary’s) . I was admitted thru ER. They monitored my blood every 4 hours. They then found my potassium was dangerously low and focused on that as the primary issue. They kept telling me I had a lot going on and was a complicated case. After many bags of both antibiotics and potassium ,the hospital declared me stable enough to be released. It was a Friday. Our dinner menu at Fox Run included sautéed perch, one of my favorite dishes especially after a week of hospital food. We were approaching the dining room when my phone rang. It was my primary  care doctor telling me to immediately return to the ER as my potassium reading was, once again' dangerously low. I asked it could wait until after dinner and was told no. So back to ER and being admitted. Again IV’s.

After several days, I was released and told my infection needed attention. Eric had left by now and Carle took over. She suggested we consider Sparrow Hospital in Lansing since it was a UM hospital and she could provide better support as it was so much more convenient. We agreed. Again, lots of IV’s and blood tests. After 7 days, I was released with antibiotics to finish and struck orders to follow up with my primary physician and the surgeon. 

I’ve seen my primary and he is trying to balance my medications. This Friday I see the surgeon and hope to hear a plan for doing another feeding tube. So far it’s been a week out of a hospital.

So a busy, uncertain few weeks. I vacillated between thinking I was going to be put in hospice and thinking “this too shall pass” and no end in sight. Lots of uncertainty. Low energy and motivation. Now   I am improving I thought I should     get this blog entry done. I hope to keep a more regular schedule of blog entries.g

Comments

  1. You are a role model of strength and patience partner! Thinking of you often and praying with you daily

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Another ALS Clinic

Remember Me by What I Loved

If at First…..