A Challenge

 WARNING: The following is not meant to be a complaint or criticism. It is an expression of my wondering at what I imagine is normal but having occurred with the onset of my ALS was accelerated. Perhaps I spend too much time thinking about how to not let my condition interfere. 


I’m looking for help. I feel we have a good relationship with our six grandchildren. It wasn’t an overwhelming relationship but appropriate for being grandparents. Now with the confluence of their getting older and busier and our inability to travel or even get into houses, our seeing them has diminished dramatically. They probably notice too. I am sure it is not intentional on their part. I just don’t want this drifting apart to become greater. I believe it is our responsibility as the adults to take responsibility and, potentially, innate new actions if appropriate.

We occasionally text, talk on the phone, say we should connect by zoom, and for the local ones, get together on holidays for a meal here at Fox Run. Maybe that is the normal way of things and I’m just being too sensitive about our limitations. I know they all love us. I know their lives become busier and their world expands. Their needs and priorities change. Maybe this is just a desire for the way it used to be. I don’t want to be a drag or obligation.

If this is just the normal progression in life and I’m just overthinking it, I will accept that. If it is something as a consequence of our new limitations, I want to know how we can adjust to serve all of us better. 

Help. All comments and suggestions welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another ALS Clinic

Remember Me by What I Loved

If at First…..